Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Tips When You Experience a Biohazard in Taunton
Biohazards are a biological or chemical substance that pose a threat to the health and safety of people, pets, or the environment. Examples include toxic chemicals, viruses, certain antibiotic-resistant bacteria, regulated medical waste, residue after a building fire, and heavy aerosols.
SERVPRO advises that if you are in a situation where there is a biohazard or contamination cleanup event in Taunton, the most important concern is your safety and for others. Never hesitate to call 911 for emergency assistance if the situation is, or could become, dangerous.
Because biohazard exposure weighs heavily on the health and safety of the individual cleaning, there are actions to avoid. Know that professionals from a company like SERVPRO have the training and experience to understand the job at hand and can clean and disinfect all types of contaminants.
Our technicians always protect themselves to ensure their safety. Some of the things they might do include:
- Wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) to shield their skin, eyes, and lungs while cleaning.
- In certain situations, mandates may require donning government-regulated gloves, masks, goggles, helmets, use a powered air-purifying respirator, special boot covers, and a type of fit-tested coveralls.
In the event of a biohazard emergency, consider these tips until we arrive. Have confidence that SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield's trained professionals and their specialized equipment will get the job done right and quickly to make it "Like it never even happened."
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (508) 824-0200
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- East Taunton
- Raynham Center