What Is Black Mold?
As you may have seen, there are numerous news reports that sensationalize warnings about the dangers of “toxic mold” or even “black mold”. These reports may generate a confusing and an alarming attitude towards black mold. This is why it becomes necessary to separate fact from fiction as it will help everyone in understanding black mold better.
Stachybotrys chartarum is the scientific name of what is often referred to as black mold. In line with general belief, it does produce irritants and allergens. However, it is not the only type of mold responsible for the production of irritants and allergens. It is advisable to treat any and all mold with caution – stay away from mold-affected areas and do not disturb or touch the mold.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (508) 824-0200
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Raynham Center
- East Taunton