A List of Useful Tips on Black Mold Remediation
A List of Ways to Remediate Black Mold at Your Property
Have you ever noticed a black tainted or spotted area in the corners of your rooms and spaces? If it gives off a musty, mildew odor, it is surely black mold. Not only is it an aesthetic nuisance, but it may also become the cause of health concerns in the occupants of your property. This growth gradually deteriorates your property and it can become dangerous if its spores are dispersed in the air. This is when you have to hire competent mold remediation professionals from leading companies such as SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield. The most common places to find this culprit is in high-moisture areas such as your bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, etc. The excess of water, be it through damaged/leaky pipes or through storm damage, becomes the primary reason for its growth.
Here’s a list of ways to remediate black mold at your residential or commercial property:
Presence of Mold in Kitchens or Bathrooms
There are numerous factors that lead to the growth of black mold in kitchens and bathrooms. The main reasons are the presence of ideal temperature and the right amount of moisture, both of which trigger the growth of black mold. One of the most effective ways to remediate it is to ensure proper ventilation through the property. If there is a proper flow of air through the various rooms, the moisture will dry out and not become a breeding ground for unwanted mold. If you’re looking for a way out of the mold problem, get the help of professional water damage restoration companies who will eliminate any and all causes before mold becomes a problem for you.
Useful Tips for Mold Prevention
If you’re facing black mold problem, you can do the following to restore the damage done by it:
- Always use glasses, gloves, masks, and other protective safety gear before handling black mold. The mold spores and chemical fumes can be hazardous.
- Ensure proper containment and keep the affected area dry. Never use exhaust fans in the area effected, to maintain the temperature and low humidity use dehumidifiers or heaters. Choose depending on your local climate, area being treated and season.
- Always cover the surrounding immovable surfaces before cleaning and removing the mold. If there is furniture present, move it aside before remediating mold.
- Inspect and clean the vents, airducts, HVAC ducts, etc. in a thorough and meticulous manner. These spaces are highly prone to mold damage because of presence of high moisture content.
- In the local market, you will be able to find effective cleaning agents and liquids that will help you in the removal process. However, only use DIY methods if the area is smaller than 5 square feet.
- For large affected areas, get in touch with SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield as we offer the best and the most effective mold remediation solutions for residential and commercial properties.
- There are many DIY homemade solutions that you can opt for when removing mold from small affected areas. These include tea tree oil, distilled white vinegar, grapefruit seed extract, etc. all of which are anti-fungal.
- The chemicals that you can utilize for removal are borax, ammonia, bleach and hydrogen peroxide. Please keep in mind that these chemicals are effective but toxic. Do not use them without proper instruction and supervision.
These tips are useful only when the black mold hasn’t exceeded an area of 5 square feet. If the mold problem is larger than this or hidden behind cabinets, under countertops, in the vents, or any other inaccessible areas, it is better that you call in professionals.
For more information on our competent black mold remediation, feel free to call us at (508) 824-0200.