5 Useful Tips for Fire Damage Restoration|SERVPRO Taunton/Mansfield
Destruction from fire does not only damage your property, it can be fatal to your health. After a fire occurs, you will most likely need restoration services. If there is extensive damage, contact a professional company for the restoration process. Nonetheless, always contact the authorities first when faced with a fire situation. When the time for fire restoration arises, get in touch with SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield.
To facilitate a smoother restoration process, homeowners can follow these 5 useful tips:
Mend The Smoke Damage Wall
Fires will cause great damage to your paints, wallpaper and even the wall itself. Sometimes, simple soap or bleach with water is effective enough to clean the soot. For thicker soot, you may need to put a little extra elbow grease into scrubbing the walls. If the damage goes deeper, then it may be time to start looking for professional help.
Fix Flooring and Carpet
During a fire, water is abundantly used to put it out. It is a likely scenario that carpets and floors will be soaked after putting out a fire. You may need to remove the carpeting, as it is likely that water has permeated beneath the rug to the flooring. If it soaks into the wood, it may never completely dry when covered up by a rug. This is sure to create even more issues. Hire restoration technicians of SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield for expert rug cleaning or removal. We deliver the best results.
Get Rid of Mold and Mildew
Once the fire is put out, the property must be dried out immediately. Otherwise, the moisture makes it susceptible to Mold and Mildew. If mold goes untreated, it can set in to surfaces in your home including your salvaged belongings. In some cases you can clean it up with bleach and water or a disinfectant spray. If this does not work, don't allow it to spread, making matters worse after a fire. Get mold restoration in Taunton, MA to keep the problem away.
Clean Your Clothes
It is sad when even your clothes are affected or destroyed by a property fire. If clothes are covered in soot, throwing them into the washer will not work. In fact, it may make matters worse due to the oily and expansive nature of soot. Professionals have access to special equipment to remove soot rather than smear it. Local dry cleaners or other equipped professionals can help.
Fire can also affect your kitchenware. Dishes need proper cleaning, otherwise you may end up ingesting harsh chemicals. Deal with this by creating a solution of 2 tablespoon of bleach in one gallon of water. Soak your kitchenware in the solution for at least 20 minutes. Afterwards, wash the dishes with soap and rinse with hot water. If they don't seem to be getting properly clean, trust your gut. Throw away permanently fire damaged dishes to avoid gaining health issues.
There are other steps and preventative measures that can be taken in a fire damage emergency. For more information on our fire damage and water removal service in Mansfield, MA, call at (508) 824-0200.