Recent General Posts

Five things to Know about House Insurance

10/25/2017 (Permalink)

SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield helped a family in Mansfield, MA recover.

At times it seems like SERVPRO is the bridge between the customer and carrier in Mansfield, MA. What does that mean? Well, we work directly with you, our customer, and the adjuster, who represents the carrier. And what we find in most cases is that people who have had insurance for even years don't understand their insurance policies are required to converse with professionals in the insurance industry that both interpret and enforce insurance policies every day. Below is a collection of resources and questions we are often asked about that could help people understand their insurance coverage a little bit better. I hope this article not only helps people when it comes to buying insurance but also if they ever need to use their insurance policy. Now, I know this stuff isn’t exciting to think about, but we know that knowledge is power which can lead to peace of mind for many folks.

Know Your Rights

We often hear of Public Adjusters and Restoration Companies show up right behind the fire truck (otherwise known as a Fire Chaser) who claim they are trying to help folks that have just experienced a devastating fire loss to their home and personal belongings. However, some see this as preying on folks that may have impaired judgment under such a stressful situation.  Your insurance carrier or agent may also suggest someone you should call to help with your water damage. And then there is always the neighbors down the street that had that terrible ice dam during the winter of 2015 that ruined their roof, ceilings and the majority if their holidays for the better part of a year while they were settling their claim and dealing with repairs. No matter who you turn to for advice, it is equally important to understand that you have the right to hire whoever you want to repair your property. Make sure the person or company doing the work is experienced, trained and seasoned in the type of service you will be needing, and they carry insurance that includes worker’s compensation and liability or run the risk of needing to file yet another insurance claim for liability if anything should happen during the repair process.

Question: Who Do I Tell About Changes I Might Make?

Answer: Your local agent is the best person to call to let know of changes like jewelry purchases, but they are also the folks you want to call when you are making a move!

You should call your agent at least 30 to 60 days before any move, so they can go over the change of address and any new or different coverage they may suggest, or you want for the new place. The rates may change based on the zip code or geographical region. Having the conversation well in advance of your move is an opportunity to ensure you can have "no hidden surprises" by having all the coverage you need or want when you arrive at your new place. 

Be prepared to ask the question of with new or different coverage, "will my premium and or deductible change?" It's important to understand ALL the changes that will happen to your policy before something happens! 

The expression we here time and time again from folks is, “I hope I never need your services!” Please keep in mind, furnace malfunctions, pipe breaks and appliances break without notice.  It’s always better to be prepared then not when these situations occur. If you need help cleaning up after a water or fire damage, please give us a call 508-339-3595. We can make damage, “Like it never even happened.”

The Facts About Renter’s Insurance

10/25/2017 (Permalink)

Question: If I Rent Do I Still Need Insurance Coverage?

Answer: If you own personal belongs such as a television, computer, furnishings and clothing that may need to be replaced if something happens such as a break-in or fire, the answer is YES!  Even if you don't own a home, unexpected things do happen. Whether you're renting a studio apartment or single-family home, renters insurance may help protect you and your "stuff." We have come across situations where properties have experienced tremendous water or fire damage whether it is from a pipe break or electrical malfunction to learn that the persons renting the apartment or house do not have renter's insurance. Usually, we have to give them the "bad news" that the property owner's insurance covered does not include their personal belongs.

Question: What does Renters Insurance Cover?

Answer: Landlord insurance is designed to help protect the owner's dwelling, while you, the renter, are usually responsible for protecting the belongings you keep inside.  Think about all the stuff you own. The value of your belongings can quickly add up. Personal property coverage, a typical component of renter’s insurance, may help cover the cost of replacing your stuff if it's unexpectedly damaged or ruined. 

Question: Does Renter's Insurance Have a Deductible?

Answer: Before renter’s insurance pays out to help pay for a covered loss, you will need to pay a deductible. The amount of your deductible is often decided by the cost of your premium, which is the amount you pay your insurance company to keep your policy in- force. Just like home owner's insurance coverage, you will find that the lower your premium, the more your deductible may be for each covered loss. Your deductible and premium are listed in your policy and can be changed if you need them to.

Homeowners Insurance Coverage

10/24/2017 (Permalink)

SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield has earned the trust of the insurance industry for providing the highest quality of customer service in Raynham, MA.

It's a picture-perfect day as you pose with your loved ones standing on the porch of your newly purchased home in Raynham, MA. Both you and your husband have worked overtime to save enough money to secure a mortgage. You have spent countless hours surfing the internet and going to open houses where you may want to raise your kids. The neighborhoods with the best schools, churches and playgrounds. No one thinks the thought that there may be a storm brewing on the horizon in the form of a hurricane or Nor'easter which can bring a flood of concerns that your family's home and personal property could get damaged or worst, lost forever. If it did happen would you be ready?

I’m not talking about whether you have the standard list of supplies needed if you lost the electricality like flashlights, batteries or even a good supply of bottle drinking water. I’m talking about are you ready to deal with the eminent loss claim of damage caused to your property, your belongings and most importantly your home. Speed forward to standing on the exact same porch you stood on with your loved ones happily taking photos with proud faces and now instead imagine you are standing there talking with the claims adjuster and the restoration company who are there to help you through not only a difficult time but also the process of filing a claim to recover your life. What type of coverage did you buy? Was it a policy that provides actual cash value protection which typically covers belongings up to their current market value (taking depreciation into account) or was it a policy that includes replacement cost coverage that helps you pay to replace your items at today's retail prices after a covered loss?  

If the thought running through your head is, "I don't know," take the time to learn more and gain control. We will journey down this road and hopefully help folks be able to answer the question, would you be ready to deal with a loss at your home with a strong conviction, “YES, I AM”! This series of blog postings will touch on different aspects of insurance, types of policy coverage and limits and the lingo used in the industry to discuss such topics.

Please keep in mind that the information in this blog series is very broad scope of this topic and understand that this information is from the perspective of a restoration company we see a lot of customers struggling with understanding the process. And while no two jobs are ever the same there are some common themes that we will point out in the series.

If you have questions about water removal service in Raynham, MA give us a call at 508-824-0020.

Mansfield Residents: Water heater recall, Rheem, American Standard

5/31/2016 (Permalink)

Water heater recall: Rheem, America.n Standard. If you need assistance cleaning up call us at 508-339-3595.

We recently came across this recall from Rheem who issued a recall May 26 on its Rheem Performance Platinum brand of electric water heaters in 40-, 50- and 80-gal. capacities due to fire and burn hazards caused by the overheating of control panels. If you have experienced a fire damage due to your Rheem water heater and need help cleaning up contact SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield.  Water Heating Technologies Corp. issued a recall May 24 on its American Standard brand of gas water heaters in 30-, 40- and 50-gal. capacities due to a fire or explosion hazard caused by a space between the burner flange and the combustion chamber.

Rheem Performance Platinum recall
The Rheem recall is for 54,000 of its Performance Platinum brand of electric water heaters (40-, 50- and 80-gal.) sold exclusively at Home Depot locations nationwide and online from January 2014 through April 2016 for between $450 and $720. The control panel on the water heaters can overheat, posing fire and burn hazards. The firm has received 296 reports of control panels overheating, including one report of a fire which resulted in $5,800 in property damage. No injuries have been reported.  

Consumers should immediately turn off and stop using the recalled water heaters, and contact Rheem to request a free repair by a Rheem field technician. Call toll-free at 866/369-4786 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT Monday through Saturday, and from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. CT on Sunday, or visit

If You Need Help After A Fire, Call Us Today – 508-339-3595