What Should a Homeowner Do If My Taunton Home is Ever Damaged by Floods?
Flooding quickly damages the contents and structure of your home. Contact SERVPRO for remediation services.
If Floods Ever Impact Your Taunton Home, You Should First Contact a Good Local Flood Damage Cleanup and Remediation Service for Help.
Every year, powerful seasonal storms batter Taunton and the rest of the Northeast. These monstrous weather systems often bring with them intense winds, torrential rains, flooding, and massive headaches for area homeowners. As the storms pass through our community, your home could be compromised in a myriad of ways. Tree limbs, or even entire trees, could fall on your house, damaging roofing and windows. This, in turn, could make your residence much more vulnerable to stormwaters. At the same time, flying debris could further impact your home in such ways and block its drainage systems. Then, as heavy rains swell local rivers, lakes, and ponds, your house could be put in the direct path of raging floodwaters.
What Makes Flood Waters Particularly Hazardous?
Flood damage remediation in Taunton involves much more than simply removing the floodwaters and airing-out a residence. As SERVPRO, a local Taunton flood damage cleanup and restoration company, understands, it takes much more than this. This is because floodwater, classified as “black water,” is the most contaminated type of water you can encounter. It flows over various polluted surfaces, carrying with it such things as:
- Human corpses and animal carcasses
- Animal and human feces
- Industrial wastes
- Toxic chemicals
- Other harmful substances in soils
This contaminated water is teaming with troublesome microorganisms that could, if not quickly and successfully eliminated, irreparably impact your residence and cause negative health effects.
How Does SERVPRO Quickly and Effectively Clean Up Flood Damage?
As your neighborhood SERVPRO, we are located nearby and our skilled technicians live in your community. This is why we can often be onsite to help resolve your Taunton flooding issue within four hours of your call, twenty-four hours a day, 365 days a year. Once at your residence, SERVPRO experts:
- Inspect your home, noting all water damage and potential safety concerns like the presence of lead or asbestos
- Rapidly extract gallons of polluted standing floodwaters from your house with industrial strength extractors and submersible pumps
- Disinfect surfaces around your home with EPA-approved disinfectants and high-tech foggers
- Professionally dispose of hazardous wastes
- Set a drying goal based on local conditions and monitor its progress with moisture sensors/meters and thermohygrometers
- Quickly dry the interior of your residence with a network of cutting edge air movers, dehumidifiers, and Injectidry systems
- Further disinfect and deodorize your house with advanced antimicrobial-delivering foggers
Taken together, all of these measures help ensure that your flood damage is remediated as quickly and effectively as possible. Many times, they can save you from future issues related to a flooding event, which can save you precious time and money.
How Do SERVPRO’s Foggers Disinfect Surfaces and Neutralize Odors?
The greatest concerns related to flood damage cleanup are eliminating harmful microbes and neutralizing unpleasant odors. In order to tackle these key problems, SERVPRO employs the most advanced foggers in the industry today. Our thermal foggers create dense fogs filled with disinfectants/deodorants that eliminate microbes or unwanted smells from confined areas of your residence. Technicians use ultra-low volume (ULV) foggers that aerosolize microorganism/odor-eliminating agents to treat impacted materials and difficult-to-access parts of your home. This is possible because ULV foggers, unlike other foggers, create fine mists that are able to easily penetrate tight areas and the small pores of affected materials.
What Can Happen to My Home If I Don’t Have It Properly Cleaned by Knowledgeable Professionals?
As previously explained, floodwaters are particularly dangerous because they usually carry numerous harmful microorganisms. The harm that these microscopic threats often cause is in addition to the troubles generally associated with regular water damage. Some examples of the issues you can eventually expect to encounter after having ineffective remediation service performed are:
- Persistent foul odors that may become more pronounced during hotter and more humid periods
- Discolorations and stains from proliferating mold and mildew on floors, walls, and ceilings
- Deteriorating drywall and plaster
- Warping and buckling of floors, walls, and ceilings
- Structure-destroying dry rot that could require substantial and costly reconstruction efforts
- Negative health effects
It is for all of these reasons that you should take care of any flood damage as soon as possible and have the work done by trained professionals. Otherwise, over the long term, your delays could cost you dearly.
As caring members of your community, we urge you to always prepare for storms and related flooding. Also, you should know your cleaning and restoration options well before storms arrive. With all that said, if you ever need help cleaning up in the aftermath of flooding, call SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield at (508) 824-0200 for assistance.
How Expensive is Fire Restoration for Businesses in Mansfield?
A fire estimate can help your business to process the costs of your claim.
Producing an Accurate Estimate for Commercial Fire Damage Restoration is Essential to Allow Mansfield Businesses to Plan and Account for Insurance Claims.
How are commercial claim costs calculated?
Fires affect hundreds of small, medium-sized, and large businesses in the Mansfield area every year. These can occur in restaurant kitchens, electronics shops, and retail outlets. We understand that as a business owner, getting the first idea of the costs of your claim is essential to your business planning. The expense of your restoration depends on the cleanability of the property. Replacing, resurfacing, or reconstructing is where the high costs of recovery occur. SERVPRO works to restore rather than replace and test smoke residues to gain an accurate idea of which areas can be cleaned and which may need replacement. By conducting rigorous tests, your business can avoid being charged for restoring items that ultimately need replacing.
How accurate are testing estimates?
When we conduct commercial fire damage restoration for Mansfield businesses, we generally provide testing equipment for estimators. These equipment include safety equipment like respirator masks and other personal protective equipment (PPE) as well as pH paper and brushing or scraping tools. To distinguish between restorable and replaceable items requires an ongoing assessment of smoke residues. We may scrape tiles or hard surfaces to assess damage underneath. Melted plastics, such as those found on commercial cooking appliances, can often be agitated with steel wool to see if melting can be restored. SERVPRO also includes cleaning chemicals that can be tested on discrete areas of walls or furniture in your business to see how active smoke residues are to chemical action.
How do estimate tests help restoration technicians?
- Tagging of items as a claim or damaged inform whether to restore or replace
- Caution tape may be placed to indicate potential hazards
- Markers to delineate work which can be useful during inventory
A fire estimate can help your business to process the costs of your claim. Contact SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield at (508) 824-0200 for commercial restoration services.
What Can I Do to Restore My Taunton Home After Water Spreads Throughout It?
Removing all the water from your home is not an easy job. Contact SERVPRO after a water damage incident for professional remediation services.
Call in SERVPRO to Repair Your Taunton Home After Any Disaster
What Has to Be Repaired or Replaced in My Home?
Water damage repair in Taunton often centers around floors and walls. SERVPRO technicians train to preserve as much of each home to avoid the costlier expenses of property repair or replacement.
How Do Technicians Do All This for My Home?
Our technicians perform key processes that reduce the amount of immediate damage and the chance of future damage: Water removal, moving and drying property, and drying the structure.
- Water Removal – Technicians quickly set up pumps to draw water out of your home. If your electrical system was compromised, we can bring in a generator or even a truck-mounted pump for continuous operation for any sized residence.
- Moving and Drying Property – Team members remove furniture to an unaffected part of the home and set the items on pallets or blocks. This allows water to drain from the items and increase drying through evaporation.
- Drying the Structure – Technicians install fans to increase circulation and force damp air outside. They use air movers to further increase airflow and direct the warm air across damp floors and walls to quickly dry them without causing further problems.
What Can Technicians Do About the Odors?
SERVPRO technicians eliminate many types of odors when removing water-soaked property too damaged for repair or restoration, but some can penetrate deeply into structural and personal property. To eliminate them, team members use:
- Chemical agents that can combine with and break down the odor-causing particles.
- Injectors that put the agent directly into an odor-producing water stain. These are especially effective for sofas and other upholstered furniture.
- Foggers that break down the agents into a fog of particles that penetrate as deeply into the home as the odor-causing particles, binding with, and eliminating, them.
To learn more about what SERVPRO of Taunton / Mansfield can do for your home, or to schedule a service visit, call today at (508) 824-0200. We are here for you.
Click here for more information about Taunton.
What Can I Do To Prepare My Business For Emergencies?
SERVPRO understands how important it is to prepare for an emergency situation. We can help you with our Emergency Ready Plan.
SERVPRO’s Emergency READY Program (ERP) Helps Taunton Businesses Prepare Ahead of Time Disasters.
Fire and floods can devastate a business faster than you can imagine. Sadly 50% of all businesses that are impacted by a disaster never reopen. Of those that do survive, the majority of them had some type of response plan prepared. Over the past 34 years, Taunton has experienced approximately 5” of increased sea levels. This means the starting point for storm surges and high tides has raised, in turn, making coastal flooding more frequent and more severe. Is your business prepared?
How Can ERP Help My Business?
Taunton is a beautiful city with many fascinating historic buildings. Established in 1637 by the Plymouth Colony, it is also known as the “Silver City”. It was one of the principal starting points for the silver industry in the 19th century. Shops and homes sit along the Taunton River, which meanders through the town, ending at Mount Hope Bay. Storms can come up at any time, causing flood damage in Taunton and impacting businesses across the town. SERVPRO’s Emergency READY Program helps make sure your business is prepared for just this type of situation. Our ERP system can help by:
- Helping you establish trust with clients and employees. They know you are prepared if disaster strikes.
- Compiling a comprehensive information resource for use if there is a problem.
- Minimizing business interruption and loss of revenue.
- Reduce secondary damage saving your company money.
- Providing timely mitigation that reduces downtime due to cleanup and restoration.
The key to prompt mitigation is knowing whom to call, what to do, and what to expect in advance.
What is the Emergency Ready Profile System?
This system is designed to shorten response time to emergency calls from businesses. Its web-based interface is user-friendly and easy to set up. By having your information on hand, our response is faster, which means you are up and running as soon as possible.
What Do I Need to Do?
As a business owner creating a company profile is the first step. You personalize your company profile with the relevant information. If you need assistance getting set up, a Marketing Representative can provide that service free of charge.
How Does My Profile Help?
When you establish an ERP profile, you have a Marketing Representative that works directly with your business. If an emergency occurs, such as storm flooding, that person has all your business needs, particular circumstances, and emergency contacts listed. There is no need to take the time to give SERVPRO that information when you call. This means a faster response time on our end.
More Benefits of ERP
There are many benefits to enrolling in the ERP system, as you can see from above. Some of the other factors that can be beneficial include:
- Multi Business Management – When flood damage hits dealing with one business is hard enough. If you are the owner or manager of multiple industries, it can seem impossible. The ERP system permits you to create a profile for each business, which is beneficial with severe storm flooding situations.
- Contact Management – Any company has multiple contact information. Insurance, utilities, suppliers, and other essential contacts you deal with all the time. With ERP, you can organize those contact lists and store that information within the system. Communication is vital in any type of disaster, and this enhances contact efficacy in the face of a disaster.
Are You Ready?
Every business should have a contingency plan prepared. There are 3 components to a solid plan, and they are incident response, disaster recovery, and business continuity. SERVPRO ERP system is not a stand-alone contingency plan but a vital part of an existing one. We address the incident response and disaster recovery portions. Our technicians are trained to help you recover your business after flood damage occurs, but we also want to help you before anything detrimental happens. When you invest in ERP, you are creating a win-win situation for your business and livelihood. More reasons to choose the ERP system include:
- A no-cost assessment of your facility.
- Contains only the needed information in the event of an emergency.
- Establishes SERVPRO® of Taunton/Mansfield as your disaster mitigation and restoration service provider.
- Names the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information
If flooding does occur, the ERP readiness plan has our Green Team on the scene providing emergency mitigation and performing a scope immediately. Since we already have information on your building, the layout, and the content, the initial process is drastically reduced. Cleanup, repair, and restoration can get underway so your business can bounce back.
Contact SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield at (508) 824-0200 for commercial flood damage service.
Contractor Licenses: General: CS-108357. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster
How do I Get Rid of Odorous Water from My Taunton Home and Contents?
SERVPRO has your water damage covered, no matter how the water found its way in.
SERVPRO Restoration Services Perform Expert Water Cleanup for Residents of the Taunton Area.
Why is odorous water in some regions of the home?
Water contains microbes, which over-time can stagnate, leading to unpleasant odors and wetness in your Taunton home. These issues are frequently linked to plumbing or leakage in the house. Outside rainwater entering the home, a faulty appliance, pipe, or water tank can all contribute to unpleasant greywater, causing a problem. SERVPRO technicians are quick to identify the root causes of water intrusion with strong expertise in the treatment of odor and sanitization. Our main goal is to return your home to a preloss condition using a combination of mechanical equipment, drying, and cleaning. While waiting for an inspection, it can be useful to isolate the affected area, unplug faulty appliances, and open windows to allow natural air ventilation.
Is Greywater intrusion a serious concern?
Professional water cleanup services in Taunton can typically resolve water-related issues in your home provided they can address them early. Without early intervention, greywater can deteriorate, leading to a much more severe problem. This deterioration occurs because microbes present in water proliferate, leading to mold, bacteria, or viruses. Equally, building materials or contents in the direct vicinity of moisture can absorb large quantities and be tough to dry. SERVPRO water restoration technicians (WRT) establish proper drying methods using air-movement, dehumidification, and extraction to dry out the property thoroughly. Using these methods, we can be confident of mitigating further harm to your home before performing the necessary restoration to return it to its preloss condition.
What are the symptoms of untreated water damage?
- Mold buildup in drywall, insulation and other surfaces around the vicinity
- Unpleasant stagnant odors
- Warping of the surrounding building materials or contents
Early intervention can go a long way to reducing the overall expense of your claim. Contact SERVPRO of Taunton / Mansfield at (508) 824-0200.
I Need Fire Damage Restoration Services for My Home. Who Can Help?
Taunton Homeowners Are Happy with the SERVPRO Approach to Fire Damage Cleanup and Restoration--We Even Eliminate the Pungent Odors
Hire SERVPRO’s Team of Experts in Taunton To Complete the Fire Damage Restoration Process.
Nothing is more traumatizing than a fire threatening your family’s sense of security. Even after the flames are gone, the secondary damage may continue to destroy the structure and pose health risks to its residents. Therefore, it is essential to act fast by contacting restoration experts in Taunton within the first 48 hours to stop further damage.
Why the first 48 hours?
Restoration experts call the first 24 to 48 hours following a fire loss the golden hours of recovery. To ensure the recovery of as much property as possible after fire damage in your Taunton home, it is critical to have an effective response that stabilizes the property. When the firefighters extinguish a blaze, the acidic soot and smoke can speed up corrosion and deterioration of building components and valuable items. To compound the issue, firefighters use water or chemicals to extinguish the flames. Our technicians can remove the left-over chemicals, water, and the odor that a fire leaves behind.
What does fire damage restoration include?
Our restoration services include mitigating the fire damage, water removal, and smoke residue cleanup. We conduct the restoration process as quickly as possible so that our customers do not incur costly repairs. Beyond the visible structural damage, SERVPRO technicians evaluate contents inside a property for recovery based on factors such as:
- Decreased life expectancy
- Effect of smoke and heat
- Sentimental value
- Loss of value
- Loss of use
- Comparison between replacement cost and cost of restoration
Our fire damage restoration services can include:
- Emergency board-up: Since the restoration process might take a few days, we can protect your property from severe weather or intruders. We can use plywood enforced by two-by-fours to board up any openings. If the unfortunate incident damaged the roof, we can cover the opening using a polythene paper.
- Soot and smoke residues cleanup: We use advanced products to clean the soot and smoke residues from different surfaces. We can use Liquid Crème Cleaners such as stain scrub to clean high gloss surfaces or appliances made of stainless steel.
- Thermal deodorization: Smoke odor can hide in various places, including confined areas. Even after a thorough cleanup, the odors may persist. Our technicians can use thermal fog deodorizers to combat the odors. We use a thermal fogger to apply the product in the affected areas and allow it to work overnight.
Our SERVPRO technicians also inspect the property to ensure it is suitable for inhabitation.
Do not let secondary fire damage lead to expensive repairs in your property. Contact SERVPRO of Taunton / Mansfield at (508) 824-0200 immediately after the fire loss for effective restoration.
How Can a Remediation Service Mitigate My Water Damage?
SERVPRO Offers Advanced Equipment to Mitigate Water Damage in Mansfield Area Properties
Mansfield Area Remediation Services Use Various Tools and Methods to Limit the Severity of Your Water Damage.
When your Mansfield home is impacted by a water leak, your first thoughts likely concern how damage can be mitigated and your residence restored to its preloss condition. With that said, destructive leaks can develop for many reasons and exist in different locations around your home. Some of their most common causes are pipe drips and ruptures, storm damage that puts holes in your roof, clogged gutters that allow the collected water to penetrate structural elements, malfunctioning household appliances like washing machines and dishwashers, and rusted out or defective water storage containers. Whatever their cause, water leaks need to be found and adequately dealt with swiftly.
How Does a Service Like SERVPRO Discover and Locate Hidden Water Leaks?
The ideal way a Mansfield water damage mitigation service such as SERVPRO can limit a leak’s impact is by finding it early when it first starts. This is exceedingly difficult, or near impossible, for those without the right experience and high-tech equipment to do. Fortunately, SERVPRO technicians possess both of these things. As a result, they can often find sources of water issues early by using their extensive training and industry experience, as well as the following tools:
- Infrared cameras to look through ceilings, walls, and baseboards to locate sources of leaks
- Moisture sensors that identify excess moisture in affected items and areas
- Meters to measure actual moisture levels in impacted materials and objects
Our workers can locate water leaks with this detection gear near the time they start if you have your home periodically inspected. In this way, we can often help you avoid the more serious damage that generally accompanies older, ongoing water-related problems. Even if you suspect a leak and we find it later, we can still usually prevent it from developing into a more severe issue.
How Does SERVPRO Dry My Home So That It is Not Further Harmed by Standing Water and Airborne Moisture?
In cases of apparent or catastrophic water events, the first course of action to mitigate damage is to remove standing water and reduce water vapor levels as quickly as possible. We do this with a vast array of state-of-the-art equipment, like:
- Strong extractors, pumps, and wet vacs that extract standing water from your home swiftly.
- Advanced air blowers, high-velocity fans, and different kinds of dehumidifiers that dry interior air, household surfaces, furnishings, and other contents
- Ingenious air blower-dehumidifier-injectidry networks to dry moist areas in difficult-to-reach places behind walls and ceilings
Often, these tools and measures help prevent harmful bacterial and fungal growths, as well as the development of persistent unpleasant odors. This all substantially reduces your home’s long-term risk of experiencing destructive dry rot and other damaging microbial issues. Moreover, they help ensure that unwanted smells related to your water problem are permanently eliminated.
What Does SERVPRO Do to Disinfect Your Home and Neutralize Present Odors?
Our trained experts also do other things, besides merely preventative measures, to disinfect and deodorize your residence. These measures further ensure that harmful microbes are killed, the structural integrity of your home is preserved, and foul water damage-related odors are effectively mitigated over the long-term. Such efforts include, among other things:
- Spraying EPA-approved disinfectants, antifungals, and deodorants directly on impacted structural elements and household contents
- Injecting antimicrobials and deodorants into affected upholstered items and materials using injection devices
- Eliminating microorganisms and foul smells from difficult-to-access spaces with liquid agent-atomizing ultra-low volume (ULV) foggers
- Thermal fogging with deodorants, disinfectants, and fungicides
Once completed, these actions generally protect your home from further leak-related damage and unwanted smells in the future.
Considering all this, you can see how a service like SERVPRO can effectively help you mitigate your water damage. Such services are essential for homeowners eager to minimize their recovery times and save irreplaceable or exceedingly valuable property. If a water damage restoration company is not skilled in successfully mitigating issues, you could face substantially higher long-term repair costs and potentially lose valuable property. With all that said, however, we are skilled in helping homeowners limit potential harm done to their homes and possessions by water.
We do this via the early detection of water-related problems, which allows our workers to resolve them before they produce bigger issues. If standing water or excess humidity are present, we mitigate possible damage by quickly extracting the water and drying the air.
Although it is often difficult to prevent water leaks and other such issues, there are several ways they can be mitigated once they develop. So, if you ever need this type of help, call SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield at (508) 824-0200 for assistance.
My Taunton Business Office Flooded – How Can SERVPRO Help?
SERVPRO will get your Taunton office water damage back up and moving in no time.
By Providing Emergency Mitigation We Can Get Your Office Restored to Pre-loss Condition
You need your office open for business. If you experienced flooding from a burst pipe or HVAC leak, we recommend professional help. We have years of experience helping Taunton businesses get back to work after a water intrusion.
Can you repair and restore office furniture and equipment?
The first step our Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) accredited technicians in water mitigation in Taunton takes is to make sure the source of the water loss is found and stopped. Then we will access what needs to be done for water extraction. Gas-powered pumps extract gallons of water rapidly. Once our team removes the water, then the cleanup and restoration begin. We can:
- Clean and restore carpets if delamination has not happened. Fast intervention is needed to prevent that.
- Dry out and restore desks, bookcases, and other types of wood furniture.
- Clean, sanitize, and restore metal file cabinets.
- Dry and restore documents.
- Check electrical equipment for restoration possibilities.
- Clean upholstered items. Re-upholster, if needed.
- Deodorize the office.
Professional Water Restoration Means Returning to Pre-Loss Condition
By calling SERVPRO to handle your business office flooding, you guarantee that your office will get the care it deserves. We want you to walk in and feel, “Like it never even happened.” Our team of technicians understands you need your office functioning at full capacity as quickly as possible. We provide:
- Technicians that are accredited and are continually training to increase their knowledge
- 24/7 emergency services
- Advanced technology that can find even the smallest trace of moisture
- Powerful equipment – air movers, dehumidifiers, and pumps
- Customer service that is second to none
When it comes to commercial water mitigation, SERVPRO has over fifty years of experience and knows what is required to get you up and running.
Contact SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield at (508) 824-0200 for quality water damage service that is Faster To Any Size Disaster.
How Quickly Can My Home Get Dried Out After A Flood?
No matter when you make the call, we have technicians who can assist you.
For Fast, Professional Restoration in Your East Taunton Home, Call SERVPRO
Stormwater is a greater threat to area homes than what flows from a broken pipe or split hose. Even if the same amount of water hits the floor, outside water picks up a small amount of everything it crossed before entering your home. Removing the dirt, grass, and other debris takes additional time to return each home to a clean, safe condition.
How Long Does Everything Take?
That depends on how much water is present, and the size of your home in East Taunton. Flood damage restoration also only starts with removing the water. SERVPRO technicians use pumps and extractors that draw out most of the small bits of contaminants along with the flooding, but getting out the larger debris still requires removing it by hand and shovel.
Can Everything Be Salvaged?
Almost. Carpets simply absorb too much water and contaminants to safely use again, so our team members throw them out immediately after removing the water. Paper and cardboard turn to mush in minutes, so it goes out by the shovelful as well. Nearly everything else we can save with a combination of commercial-grade cleaning agents and restoration equipment.
What about Drying Out My Home, So It Doesn’t Smell?
SERVPRO technicians use air movers, dehumidifiers, and exhaust fans to draw out remaining moisture trapped in both the structure of your home and personal property. Besides preserving the material, these actions also help remove any musty odors left behind. In addition to our cleaning agents, technicians also have access to chemicals and tools that can cover up any malodors until they fade or eliminate them, even if they penetrated wall framing and other support structures.
Regardless of how much water entered your home here, or in Norton, contact SERVPRO of Taunton / Mansfield today at (508) 824-0200. We are ready to help you return home as quickly as possible.
Learn more about East Taunton.
What Can I Expect from Professional Water Damage Repair in Taunton?
“Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO Crews Repair Your Water Loss-Devastated Taunton Home to Pre-Loss Condition Supported by Best-Practices Training and Experience, and Cutting-Edge Equipment
Water emergencies in your Taunton home can have many causes. Plumbing leaks, appliances break, and structures lose integrity and water tightness because of storms or deferred maintenance. Regardless of how the water loss starts, it is urgent to respond quickly because of the corrosive effects of water on structural components and the risk of exposure to secondary damage. Our technicians can help, but what does that look like? How disrupted will your life become?
My Wet House Is a Mess! What Steps Do Restorers Take Initially to Calm the Chaos?
Your need for water damage repair in Taunton is immediate after the event resulting in the harm occurs. A supply line break or appliance malfunction can pour or pump hundreds to thousands of gallons of water into your house in a short time. Walking downstairs in the morning or through the door after work can find you at least ankle-deep in water if the loss happened overnight or when you were away from home. When we arrive, our first focus is on shutting down the water main if not done already. Then we concentrate on a safety review of the scene to ensure neither occupants nor restorers are in danger of encountering any of the following during cleanup and repair:
• Slip, trip, and fall hazards
• Electrical shock
• Other utility line breaks
• Contaminated fluids
• Dispersed or broken asbestos or lead-bearing building materials
• Collapse of structures because of water trapped in building cavities
How Do Professionals Handle the Bulk of Water Removal?
Once the project manager identifies and creates management strategies for safety concerns, SERVPRO technicians begin emergency services, including aggressive water extraction. If overhead water exists, we make sure to secure the surface and then punch “weep holes” to release the fluid carefully, keeping technicians and occupants away until the majority of the water drains to avoid injury. Crews position submersible pumps for water deeper than two inches. Any visible standing water remaining after pumping, we suction out using truck-mounted extractors. The pumps and truck-mounted equipment are powered by gas or generators, permitting us to move on this task even if live electricity is temporarily unavailable.
What About Removing Water in Confined Spaces?
Water can migrate anywhere inside your home, including hard to access spaces. We consider different plans of action to respond because to avoid severe consequences, no water can be left behind:
• Portable extractors with extensions to lengthen their reach, worn like backpacks by technicians who walk and direct them into closed-in areas
• Injectidry or similar systems that use negative air pressure to pull migrated water from several layers of flooring or behind baseboards using adhesive mats or hoses threaded through holes
• Planned, controlled demolition to open up a surface trapping water, such as flood cuts sawed several inches above the water line or holes drilled into mortar joints in cinder block construction
Why Does Drying Follow Extraction?
If you search for hints on how to handle wet building materials, advice to open windows and use fans is common as a first step. Experts wait to focus on these and other professional drying techniques until all liquid water evacuates because research proved that adding pre-drying extraction is far more effective than drying alone. We also calculate how to position air movers most advantageously, manipulate temperature, and choose the type and number of dehumidifiers to achieve the most successful drying outcome. Moisture levels measured and monitored during the drying phase guide our practice, making sure that the drying is complete, but that we do not overshoot the mark and overdry materials that could crack, warp, or otherwise break down.
Although I Am Glad, the Water and Moisture Are Gone, Whom Will Help Put My House Back Together?
Our pledge to our customers is firm. We strive to bring you back full-circle to preloss condition. We invest in an in-house rebuilding and construction division within our firm, ready to:
• Consult and assist with the mechanics of above-head water release, including providing structural support if needed
• Plan and help implement the specifics of controlled demolition, such as making the cuts and holes
• Assess the repair and rebuilding needs for structures damaged by the water incursion or the efforts made to extract water and dry out moisture.
The full spectrum of services offered by the team at SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield can resolve residential water damage completely, “Like it never even happened.” Do not waste a second -- call us at (508) 824-0200 to get the process started.