Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When A Fire or Smoke Damage Happens, Call the Experts
SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield understands that a fire hazard is a serious threat to both life and personal property. And in some cases, it may even lead to largescale destruction. We understand the challenges, issues, and sentiments you may have when facing such a ruthless event. Before you begin the cleanup process we recommend you and always keep the safety of you and your family as the number one priority.
Top Three Concerns After A Fire Damage:
- Electrical hazards and issues are the #1 safety concern.
- Do not touch burnt items, they may be hot enough to burn or cause serious bodily injury.
- Materials which got wet due to firefighters putting out the fire will be very heavy because of water accumulation. Do not try to move them up on your own.
SERVPRO of Taunton/Mansfield is Faster to Any Size Disaster.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (508) 824-0200
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.