Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When a water disaster hits your home, there are a few things you can do to help the situation, the first of which being to call SERVPRO of Taunton, Mansfield, Seekonk, Dighton who will arrive as soon as possible to help solve the problem. Until the experts arrive you can:
- Enact your family disaster plan if you have one.
- Get children and pets out of the home.
- Turn off the water source in your home to avoid adding to the problem.
- Turn off the electricity. In flooding situations the water can become electrified by reaching electrical outlets, which can become very dangerous.
Most importantly, keep your family safe and wait for the professionals to arrive!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (508) 824-0200
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.